Thursday, February 21, 2013

How I Developed This Insane Idea

One day I was on YouTube watching interviews of the British boyband One Direction when I stumbled upon a video of a dance troupe from Britain called Diversity. The group was performing a routine on Britain's Got Talent that made me laugh and drop my jaw to the floor. I was amazed! Before watching the video, I hadn't thought that dance could be anything besides ballerina's performing in recitals. This is when I became hooked and found myself watching video after video of other street dance crews such as Antics, Ruff Diamond, Iconic Boyz, and K.I.
   


After watching all of these crews, I most definitely became inspired and I decided that I wanted to learn how to street dance. There was just one problem. I am a blonde, catholic, 5'3" teenage girl with absolutely no dance experience whatsoever, with the exception of bar and bat mitzvahs of course. Now you are probably asking yourself, what on earth is this girl thinking? To be honest I am asking myself that same question at this moment. The only answer that I can come up with is that dance is something I enjoy very much and I find myself doing it whenever any catchy song starts playing. I also know that at the end of this I will be no where close to being an amazing street dancer, but I do believe that if I put in enough work and practice then I will at least have a few moves under my belt.

My main goal for these seven weeks is to learn an entire routine that would include tutting and possibly  floor-work. To break up the routine, I will learn a few steps each week for the first six weeks, then in the final week I will practice over and over again to attempt at perfecting the routine. Overall, the routine will be 48 counts, which is 6 sets of 8 count moves.

Week 1: This week will most likely be the most difficult because I am putting together the routine from moves I have seen on YouTube and attempting to learn the two sets of 8 count moves. I plan on spending all week practicing these moves over and over again until there are drilled into my memory. I will be learning these steps from videos on YouTube because I will be able to learn the steps visually and most importantly be able to pause the video at any moment. Being able to pause the video will be essential to this process because I have a strong feeling that I will not have the ability to pick up the steps right off the bat.

Week 2 through Week 6: These weeks will consist of, like the first week, learning 2 sets of 8 count moves. Also, I will be continuing to practice the moves that I have learned during previous weeks.

Week 7: I will be spending this entire week practicing the routine over and over again in attempts to perform it to the best of my ability.

Overall my main goal at the end of these 7 weeks is to prove to everyone that it is possible to learn how to do something out of your comfort zone within a short period of time as long as it is something that you are passionate about and are willing to spend the time to practice it. Also, I plan on having my routine look somewhat close to an actually street dancer, which will only occur if I spend enough time working on it.

I will leave you all with these videos to watch and hopefully they can inspire you as they did me! Or if your just looking for something cool to watch that works too.















3 comments:

  1. Hey, so I can totally backup dance for you. But seriously I'm supper excited to see you pop and lock it in front of us. I would offer help, but my dancing skills are just natural talents and cant be explained, the moves are just so complex that I cant explain it so simply in english However I will totally challenge you do a dance off, so get to steppin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brianna you are crazy! I can't believe you're actually doing this. I think it's a great idea to have one week saved for one part of the dance and then another for the next. I just have a couple of questions. Will you be building each part off of each other? Or are you going to finish a part and then forget about it and start a new one? For example, week 2 you will work on sets one and two, then one week 3, will you work on one, two, three, and four, or just three and four? My advice would be to work on three and four and then put it all together and keep building, just so you can make sure you don't forget the steps. I can't wait to see videos of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRIANNA. I LOVE IT. In response to Abby's idea, I'd totally be willing to help you out. Except, well as we all know from my Dad, dancing isn't exactly in my jeans. Maybe I'd be perfect though, you'd look like less of an idiot compared to me. I absolutely can not WAIT until you present this, because I have a feeling it will be QUITE interesting. In terms of logistics, everything looks great. My only concern would be with finding things to read, but as I am no familiar with the subject, there are probably hundreds of books on the subject. Hey, maybe I'll write one! Kidding, sort of. Also, as a last note, I commend you for being brave (or insane) enough to do this. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete